20 Aug Director of Sales & Marketing
The Director of Sales and Marketing will report to the General Manager and be accountable for developing and executing marketing and sales strategies that contribute to the maximization of profitability and guest experience. This role will oversee the sales and marketing for two of our Client’s hotels as well as a newly built Calgary hotel. The Director of Sales and Marketing will have a pivotal role in the progression of this new brand. This role is a critical management position that requires a candidate that is creative, results-driven, passionate about customer experience, and a natural influencer that can lead a team of high performers.
Overview of the Hotels
The hotels are conveniently located in Calgary’s Northeast area. The 301 room hotel complex features a full service restaurant, lounge, and approximately 9,000 square feet of convention space.
The successful candidate’s responsibilities and essential job functions include but are not limited to the following:
- Develop and implement specific marketing plans and sales strategies to increase overall hotel revenue through rooms, event bookings, and food and beverage sales.
- Accountable for aggressively pursuing hotel revenue targets and holding team accountable for meeting expectations. Conduct daily sales review meetings and weekly strategic sales meetings.
- Monitor and document sales activities and make necessary changes to ensure achievement of weekly, monthly, quarterly, and fiscal revenue targets.
- Utilize sales tools and systems to accurately identify, report, forecast and communicate sales data to drive hotel profitability. Prepare an analysis of sales and marketing data on a weekly basis for the owners, GM, and Management team.
- Develop rates by reviewing competitive data and demand analysis and make strategic decisions based on such data. Effectively develop booking parameters, price levels, and contract negotiations.
- Use expertise to advise and implement changes to sales and marketing efforts based on sales and guest comments. Liaison with the General Manager for significant strategic shifts in marketing and sales.
- Perform prospecting activities for group, transient, convention, and events business through cold calling, site visits, lot checks, trade-shows, business and industry events, etc. Follow up on inquiries, trace calls, and tentative contracts approaching cut-off dates.
- Create marketing and promotional materials to promote revenue goals.
- Accountable for ensuring outstanding guest experience by developing and maintaining long-term, value-based client relationships.
- Ensure effective communication of client needs from sales to appropriate operational departments. Resolve complaints and concerns swiftly with a focus on recovering customer experience.
- Actively participate in sales presentations, property tours and guest meetings.
- Responsible for ongoing training of all direct reports and ensure all brand and department specific training requirements are met.
- Promote collaboration and positive, professional work environment. Apply proper communication and planning with other departments to ensure guest requirements are met.
- Apply effective leadership techniques within the sales team to promote a results-based sales culture.
- Responsible for interviewing, hiring, coaching, discipline and development of sales employees. Evaluate performance and take appropriate corrective action as needed to hold sales employees accountable. Motivate staff by setting goals, providing ongoing feedback, and rewarding and recognizing employees.
- Any other tasks as required or assigned by the General Manager.*
Skills and Qualifications
- The ideal candidate will be energetic and possess a drive for achieving high results with a passion for leading a team of high performers. This is a fantastic opportunity to make your mark on a new brand and oversee the sales and marketing for two hotels. If you feel that you are the perfect fit for this role, we want to hear from you! The next step in your career could lead to your greatest adventure.
- Minimum 3 years of previous sales experience in the hospitality industry
- Bachelor’s degree and/or Hotel Management degree preferred
- Excellent communications skills – interpersonal, written and public/media relations
- A proven record of results-oriented leadership and team development
- Excellent computer skills and experienced in MS Office, PMS, and related sales and marketing applications
- Strong analytical skills with high attention to detail
- Able to travel across Canada and to the United States
- Driver’s license required
- CHSP or TCP Certification an asset